Translate

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bruce's Lecture

Lisa lies in the vacant king-sized bed while her dad readies himself for sleep. It is Lisa's job to "warm it up" and then "snuggle" with her dad before she scurries off to her own room for the night. Lisa's mother, a nurse who works the late shift, won't be home for at least a few hours. Lisa lies in bed, tightly tucked under the covers. The lights out in the bedroom, Lisa watches the adjoining bathroom as her dad passes by the door, getting ready. As her dad is clad in boxer shorts made of thin cotton fabric, Lisa can see, by the backlight, a view of her father's genitals. Seeing her father this way has become normal for Lisa.

"You know, I never thought of that as being bad or inappropriate," Lisa says.
"Do you think it affected you?"
"I never did until I realized that seeing your father mostly naked is shocking for a kid. I don't think he did it on purpose, but it surely imprinted my sexual development and affected my discomfort with my own body."

Lisa's father's lace of boundaries became more intrusive once he pulled back the covers and joined Lisa in the bed.

No comments: